Fresh blueberries are one of my favorite fruits. Combine them with vanilla and you’ve got a dynamite combo for a delicious cupcake. Make a dozen today!
Ready for a simple yet totally amazing recipe? Got it! These blueberry vanilla cupcakes are the perfect summer dessert. Fitting for the kids and adults, these blueberry vanilla cupcakes can go for play-dates to dinner parties. Throwing a baby shower for a little boy? These are a great baby shower dessert. I’ve had lots of fresh berries around and finally decided to use my blueberries in this sweet dessert. I also added a twist on my favorite cake mix flavor (see below!) to give it an extra touch of yummyness!
These cupcakes are light, fluffy, and moist! The blueberries sink to the bottom of the batter so the cake is sandwiched between sweet frosting and juicy, delicious blueberries. Extra vanilla extract in the frosting is really delicious too. Of course you can make this recipe with strawberries or blackberries too. You might have seen my recent love affair with blackberries here and here. Blueberries deserve some love too though. They’re ridiculously good for you too so technically that makes this cupcake health food, mmk? 😉
Hopefully you can use up some of your summer berries with this recipe! If you haven’t enjoyed any yet, well then hit your grocery stores or farmer’s markets, y’all! Get all the blueberry goodness in before the season ends. If you love this recipe so much that you must make it year-round (hey, I get it) then frozen blueberries will work too. Treat yo’self!
I love adding a handful of blueberries to the frosting to give it a hint of color and taste. Of course, adorning the top with a blueberry is a must! Edible cupcake topper right there. However, you can certainly add a drop of blue or lavender food coloring for a little extra boost! Vanilla beans added in to the frosting would also be a delicious choice. Options, people, I like to give options!
So here are the ingredients and directions on how you make the blueberry cupcake!
- 1 Box French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 pints blueberries
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water, oil, sweetened condensed milk, and flour in a mixer to combine on medium for 2-3 minutes.
- Fold in 1 pint blueberries.
- Fill in cake liners (2/3 full) and bake at 325 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool while preparing frosting.
- In an electric mixer fit with paddle attachment, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add in vanilla extract and heavy cream.
- Beat frosting at medium for 3 minutes.
- Add in remaining blueberries to frosting and mix well.
- Pipe cupcakes and enjoy!