Another tropical cupcake! This rich, buttery vanilla cupcake is topped with a decadent mango buttercream. Now we’re talking. These are on the must-try list for fruit cupcakes. They definitely symbolize summer!
So, this is my Monday post! I’m super excited to be joining the party and looking forward to mingling with all of you. As I was deciding what special dessert I should bring to the occasion, I was thinking about how much I’ve been enjoying the summer weather now that it’s finally here. We’ve all been hibernating with the extreme cold winter we’ve had and it’s nice to see everyone out and about.
To celebrate the beautiful weather, I decided to make something using flavors that symbolize summer. While I was at the supermarket, I noticed some gorgeous mangos on sale, perfect! I love mangos, they’re such a sweet and fragrant fruit. Mangos are also a tropical fruit, so I wanted to carry that theme into my recipe. Then I came across some coconut flavored yogurt and it just came together for me. To be honest, I’ve never baked with yogurt before, I usually use sour cream, but no better time than the present to try something new.
- 1 & ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup coconut flavored yogurt (or vanilla)
- ¾ cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- **Buttercream ingredients
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup mango puree (using a handheld or stand blender, puree a generous ½ cup of diced mangos until smooth)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, toss together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter with the sugar. Add the egg, yogurt, milk and vanilla. Stir together, then gently pour into the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth and try not to over mix.
- Fill the paper liners ¾ full with batter and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- To make the buttercream, whip the butter until light and fluffy. Add the mango puree, salt and vanilla, mix until somewhat incorporated. Add the icing sugar, one cup at a time, blend until smooth.